In anticipation of some action in the kitchen (wink wink), we decided to rip out the upper cabinetry and the tall cab on this wall last weekend:
Yep, we are not keeping the old homemade cabinets like we originally thought. We started by removing all the doors and loading all the crap into boxes. Man, I had so much junk in there!
Getting these cabinets off the wall/soffit was an absolute nightmare.
And when the cabinets were removed, the crazy wallpaper soffit was revealed. Clearly, someone added this soffit after the house was built.
Shaun made sure to check in the other side - that appears to be original - to make sure there wasn't anything important in there. What a good DIYer!
That led to destruction...
....and victory! Kinda.
We still had to take care of all this junk.
Somehow, our garbage men took all the cabinetry, plaster pieces, and debris without us even bribing them with beer! And yes, I know that we should've had masks on while doing this demo, but we didn't have any in the house and decided to just deal with the probable lead paint and asbestos. I promise next time we will wear a mask. Next up, figuring out if this is a hardwood floor under the vinyl...since there is a subfloor visible, it's looking promising!