It was cute, but the curtains were heat damaged and hole-y on the bottom, the shag rug got brown fuzzies on ANYTHING that entered the room, and the celery walls were never my favorite. It just turned out a little too pastel, it looks better in photos than in person. Check out this "immediately after painting" pic from 2008! Holy bad photographer, Batman!
Anyway, Dutch Boy asked me to review their paint last year and the color I picked was actually meant for a friend's living room. Then I got pregnant and didn't want to paint my friend's room, then they decided they didn't even want to paint themselves. Ah, what a lazy, lazy crew we were. So, 'Not So Neutral' from Dutch Boy went up in here, even though I wouldn't have picked it for this room. Whatever. Behr Celery Sprig before:
Dutch Boy Not So Neutral after:
It definitely looks fleshy. And yet, yellow. And at night, kind of peanut-buttery. Eh, it was free paint so we're just working with it. I will do a real review on the way the paint went on the walls later, after I grovel at Dutch Boy's feet for waiting SO long to do that review! Next up - a headboard.
I found this interesting headboard at the Habitat Restore for $35. I originally wanted to make an upholstered one, but then I looked at my belly and changed my mind. I decided to do something a little wacky with it, though. I primed it with rust-colored primer:
Then used Rustoleum 'Paprika' spray paint for a fun red finish. This was just one coat:
After three coats of spray dried, we drilled new holes that fit our frame, and attached this baby.
In addition to the new headboard, I happened upon a steal of a deal on a new fuzz-less rug on Target.com. I got this 8x10 wool Medallion rug for $138 with free shipping for using my Target card! Shut the front door. They still have them online if you want it!
It's not Pottery Barn quality and there are some dark spots in a couple places, but for the money it's great. And here you can see how my painting shirt is still mostly covering my big belly.
Right around the time fabulous blogger and new mommy Kim talked about using this Dwell Studio fabric in her baby's room, I had already purchased the same fabric for this room.
I just used Stitch Witchery and clips, and also clipped some drapery lining in back to make them a little more full and less light-filtering. I realize this is a very cheater way to do this, but it works for a seldom-used room.
And here is the completed room.
Comforter is also Dwell Studio from Target, got that on clearance for $35...yay Target! Although, I know this thing won't wash well. It's cheap feeling and the red is certain to bleed. Hopefully I can figure out how to avoid that. I used different shams to mix it up a little, but it may be a bit 'pattern overload.'
I do regret that the cool shape of the headboard is so covered by our enormous mattress, but there isn't much I can do about it unless we add some blocks to the bottom. Oh well. I still need to find things for the walls and incorporate more navy items, but for now this is done. I also think that old Target lamp is on it's way out, eventually.
I would like to get a narrow bench or something for this wall, but I'm in no hurry to find anything. For now, we have some random chunky candle holders that I sprayed navy and plopped there. Whoa, I should totally be on Design Star. Snort.
I love the red, brown, navy scheme....I just need to tweak it until it's perfect. Oh, and we still need to refinish the floors in here, who knows when that will happen. That is that. Now I'm going to do some squats.