See it? Yeah, the box totally matched our wall paint. I guess that is why I didn't care that it was sitting there so long! Here is what we were working with before:
I didn't take a picture of the inside of this storm door, but it was flaking away and rotted through. There was always these little flakes of aluminum on the stoop that drove me crazy!
We started around noon last Saturday, thinking that it would take us about two hours.
The old door came off so fast I didn't even get a shot of him removing it!
When we did get the door and hardware off, it was clear the door surround needed some TLC. Ew!
I scraped, sanded, and put a quick coat of BIN on the entire surround with a foam brush. BIN is not necessarily for exterior applications (only recommended for 'spot' touchups) but I figured it would be fine after a coat of exterior paint. It looked so much better - sorry about the over-exposed pic, all the pictures I took this day were on the wrong setting and I didn't even notice!
While the primer dried, I noticed that the lintel above the door was rather rusted and yucky.
We taped off the area, gave it a bit of sanding, then shot it with some 'rusty metal' rustoleum. I love that the primer totally matches our brick! I will come in later with the same 'Sweet Tea' exterior paint that I used on the A/C and meters around our house.
After everything was dry, we started the installation. We had watched a Larson installation video on their website where the guy installed the door in about 5 minutes. It took us about 300 more minutes than him to install this door. 5 hours of drilling, attaching, removing, repositioning, crying (that was me) and wondering 'what the hell' later, we had this:
Yay! Of course, my work wasn't over because the wood door was yellowy-white, full of nail holes, and boring. Observe:
More on the door soon! Oh, and those house numbers are another issue soon to be discussed...