After some internet research, I figured out what supplies I would need, and set to work hauling it all up our stairs. Potting mix (two kinds, no idea why), compost, and perlite for improved drainage.
I scored three 18 gal Roughneck containers at Target for $6 a piece, and drilled a ton of holes in the bottoms.
I used some fiberglass window screening in the bottoms to help hold in the potting mix.
To prop up the containers to allow for drainage, I used some old pieces of pallet we had hanging out by the patio.
I also found a plastic party tub at Target for $5 that I thought would be perfect for a large tomato plant. I mixed the potting mix, compost and perlite one container at a time.
Most potting mixes have some perlite already in it, but I decided it was worthwhile to add more. It is rather dusty, so don't breathe it in! It creates a well-drained soil for your plants.
I had two plants in each container, but quickly realized that was not going to be enough room. Originially, I had a cucumber and cherry tomato plant together:
A squash and zucchini plant together:
And a red bell pepper and eggplant together:
Right away, I knew it would all get way too big. I picked up a bigger 30 gallon container for the two squash plants, and gave the eggplant and cucumber their own containers.
The pepper and cherry tomato plant live in harmony in one 18 gallon container. Everything was much happier!
These photos were taken the first week of June. Watering twice a day and fertilizing once since then has made these plants explode! Here is the squash and zucchini now...
Holy balls! I've got several baby squash and zucchini started, it's pretty funny how I'm so surprised when I see them growing. That is what's supposed to happen, of course!
I guess the bees have done their fair share of polinating. Good job, guys!